4.06.2011

Collective Nouns

Sitting in my new office digs at the lunch hour I can safely report that the British are huge tea drinkers. Not that everyone didn't know that already. But knowing intellectually and witnessing firsthand are two very different things. Very different things, indeed. To provide a little spacial context, I'm sititng near the door to the elevator that leads to a little coffee stand and the exit. I'm also sitting right next to the communal tea supply: there are 4 boxes, one with 160 bags in it, for approximately 6 people.

All throughout the day groups of people venture back and forth on tea excusions. The only thing I can compare it to, in terms of the frequency, is a smoke break. Top of the hour? Time for a tea break. Just finish lunch? Time for a tea break. Bored? Time for a tea break. It never ends. And it's almost always in packs. Except the word "packs" doesn't really provide the gravitas that I'm after. Think a parliment of owls, a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese, etc. etc. etc..

The order of the day is quite simple: create an appropriate collective noun for a group of british tea drinkers. Right now the best candidate I could come up with is a "staff of tea drinkers." It is with that small offering that I will now say I'm taking any and all suggestions to fill this gaping hole* in the English language. The winner will be sent a jar of marmite.

* ridiculous and telling spelling mistake pointed out by KFR; fixed at 16:16 UTC

5 comments:

kungfuramone said...

A "whole" in the English language, huh?

:P

How about a Dahrjeeling of tea drinkers?

Please do not send any marmite, no matter what happens.

another kind of nerd said...

PS: I still have jet lag. Kinda. I really wish I could lay the blame there. But I blame instant messenger applications. And other stuff. Yeah. Other stuff. I'm totally going to edit that out now.

another kind of nerd said...

And that is a fantastic recommendation.

boxfactoryboy said...

How about a "cozy"?

another kind of nerd said...

ooooh, "cozy" captured the heart of a british co-worker: "it works on so many levels."