10.28.2008

late announcement

finished table

For those still interested, I finally finished my butcher block table a few weeks ago. The top is securely fastened and it is pretty, if I do say so myself. I'm so happy with it, in fact, I have not used it yet. I just can't bring myself to cut anything on it. I have this overwhelming desire to protect the table, keep it pristine, untouched by my dull knives. This too shall pass. But I do feel the need to plan a fantastic meal to complement the table. We shall see.

Other projects are now in the hopper. More to report at a later date.

7 comments:

boxfactoryboy said...

Looks like you did a good job on the base too! Very nice, something organic about a piece like that, especially when you do it yourself. Face it though, most folks really use cutting boards that you can really clean like a plastic material. I think it is hard to disinfect the wood cutting board. Who knows, you might fancy it as a side table!

kungfuramone said...

Nice table, E. I say go for it: use it for what you made it for! Cut, cut, cut! You can disinfect it with a little bleach-water solution if you use it for meat, otherwise just use it for veggies and bread and so on.

CUT CUT CUT!!!

Esther K said...

WAY COOL!!!

-E

Trust in Steel said...

Well done!

Dolce Vita said...

It's beautiful! And the color is so nice - what did you put on it? I'm so glad you gave us an update.

another kind of nerd said...

food acceptable oil for the top. lots and lots of oil. then more oil. then another dash for good measure.

the base got a natural finish stain. nothing fancy. and just two coats.

Rachel said...

it's beautiful. :) I've always admired handmade stuff, seems so much more real - even though machine made is no less real - I know it's irrational. :) It's great, though!