6.07.2007

Melitta Style Coffee

Coffee in the morning. What could be better? Just to clear the air of what the wonderful Melitta filter is and how it works, some instruction and explanation. My indoctrination in the joys of coffee created in this manner originated with my old boss in the Cave. Ahem, "You gotta try this. You only need one cup. One really strong cup of coffee is all you need. One cup at breakfast and one after lunch. It's brilliant."

I haven't actually moved into the "one after lunch" realm yet. That would require me to purchase another filter and take the necessary bits into work, as my old boss did. Anyway, the necessary bits... what are the necessary bits?
  • melitta cone + filters
  • finely ground coffee- the grind is crucial, the closer to espresso grind the better
  • coffee cup
  • hot water... let it cool down a bit from boiling
Now that you've gathered the necessary ingredients, it's time to start brewing. First and foremost, you want to bloom the grounds. I've heard varying statements on the amount of blooming needed (from once to three times), but essentially you just need to get the grounds ready to contribute their full coffee goodness. To bloom: pour in a small amount of water to wet the dried grounds. Theoretically, no water should drip into the cup as it is all soaked up by the beans. If successful, the ground coffee will expand (almost like bread rising) and little air bubbles will appear. Once you've gone through the blooming process, up to three times, you simply add the rest of the water and coffee then filters into your cup. VoilĂ ! Coffee!

When all is said and done, you have a marvelous cup of really strong coffee that has a really complex taste. And as a matter of preference, I add half 'n half.

4 comments:

Matto said...

Damn, that would rock my world, in the "I need to run a marathon" sort of way.

another kind of nerd said...

Matto, I believe it already has. I recall a certain, "Wow. That's a strong cup of coffee," uttered from your lips a couple months ago, or three.

kungfuramone said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

It looks promising. Perhaps *I* will have to have a cup of this strange brew in a month's time...

Dolce Vita said...

Oooh, that sounds good. I will have to try this. And you're right that I can't get it here (in Middleofnowhere). Your description of the flavor reminds me of the coffee I drank in France. It was delicious. Arabic beans; I thought that made all the difference. Anyway, the brand was "Carte Noir" and it was simply delicious. I can't wait to sample this concoction!