10.15.2006

here comes the rain again

At some point last night I woke up to the sound of rain. My mind, however, did not immediately classify this sound as rain. Bicycle on gravel? Giant nutria outside my window?... "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."

Now we are confronted with a mini-storm in the making. Its not that I dislike rain, per se. I dislike rain for 22 days straight. My bread and butter, in terms of weather, is not an endless sea of sunshine either. Give me change. Anything that comes on the wind. I've developed a fondness for winds of all strengths over the years. What is particularly striking about Fall storms (or mini-storms) is the combination of leaves and wind. Not only do you feel the wind sneaking up and tousling your hair, you see it writ large as leaves flee their branches and strike out on the open road. Sometimes they get together for parties, these leaves. Sometimes you can even see it. You look up and your brain registers a dust-devil inhabited by leaves. But anyone who has ever been invited (remember that surreptitious sneak attack of a mini-tornado?) knows.

Rejoice my fellow lovers of Fall. Pull out the winter woolies and go stand in the wind and leaves.

No comments: