9.26.2006

mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys

What is it about the nostalgia of Pabst Blue Ribbon? I find that when I'm in a contemplative mood and enjoying a nice cold Pabst, proudly Union made, I have the biggest urge to listen to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and/or Waylon Jennings. The Charlie Daniels Band figures heavily into this as well. I'm explaining what is largely uninteresting because Pabst fits in with so many different categories or self-classification of groups. I just gravitate to the elder statesmen of country music where others move towards Turbonegro or some other group. How can anyone pass up the line, "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." Pabst has cross-over appeal. So does Carhart. Carhart works for construction types, hay-seed cowboys, hippies, and apparently is big as a fashion line in Australia (no kidding).

This is, in fact, Charlie Daniels... not Santa Claus.

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

E, you linked to the Turbojugend site. I'm so happy I could cry...

Anonymous said...

Wow, your blog made kungfuramone cry. That is some serious blogging power.