8.25.2006

aesthetic of baseball

Lightning can strike twice. I attended another baseball game last night. Though Lou Pinella was not in attendance and I missed the frozen T-shirt contest, the sky was clear and the grass was green. I find I'm drawn to the aesthetic of baseball, particularly night games. The lights seem to give the grass a little extra boost, so much so that I'm inclined to call the grass a marvelous verdant green. Slight breeze, cool temperatures... fall is in the air. Fans ate peanuts and Cracker Jacks, though the Cracker Jacks were in bags and not boxes (there was some discussion as to whether or not the prize was still a key ingredient of Cracker Jacks). Beer was also a necessary ingredient of the evening. Perhaps the thing that put the game over the top (besides the two home-run rally in the 4th) was ice cream in a little plastic baseball hat. Brilliant!

No comments: